Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Das German "Wal-Mart"

Today, things didn't go quite as planned.  Last night was a disaster and I think I got around 4 hours of sleep while the girls screamed from 10 pm to 2 am, keeping everyone in the hotel awake.  So I spent all of the girls nap time today sleeping that kind of sleep where your mouth is wide open and your own snoring wakes you up.  M and I were planning on taking the afternoon and checking out the sights at the BX.  But while I was half conscious on the couch his sponsor called and wanted to take him to get some of the basics done (rental car, drivers license, etc).  So I was here with the angry, sleep deprived baby monsters all afternoon since all things military related always take about 2 hours longer than you expect.  Once I got past the irritation of not going to the BX to get my standard American size pillow (the Rhinoceros sized pillows are nicht gut), I realized that we still needed milk for the babies since our mini fridge in the hotel only holds a half gallon and that lasts us about 1 1/2 days.  We decided we would load up the girls and walk the 15 minutes to the...super store, I don't remember what its called.  Walking through the streets of the village was interesting, we looked at houses while little cars drove by, bumping that terrible euro/techno music that makes you feel the need to flail around while holding glow sticks.  The streets were lined with houses and restaurants, some odd looking and some exactly how you picture a cute little house in Germany to look.  After stopping a few extra times to ask for directions (and pretending to understand the native language, I'm sure, not fooling anyone) we finally found the German "Wal-Mart".  My first thoughts were 1. People are smoking in here  2. There is no air-conditioning  3. Absolutely everything is in German and I thought more people in this country were supposed to speak English.  Very stereotypical American, I know.  Finally we found what we needed and stumbled through the check-out process while the people behind us audibly rolled their eyes. We piled everything into the bottom basket of the stroller and started our trek back to the hotel.  M tried to convince me we should get gyro for dinner from one of the shady looking vendor trucks in the parking lot, but I decided having food poisoning is not how I want to spend my first week in Germany.  Stress and long flights do nothing for my digestive system so it was the salad bar again for dinner.  It was nice getting out of the hotel for a bit, maybe if its not raining tomorrow, I can get out again with my little girls.

       

No comments:

Post a Comment